The purpose of this page is to ensure administrators and applicants are aware of 24 P.S. §1-111, as amended, and Chapter 8 of the State Board of Education Regulations concerning criminal history background checks. In addition, the procedures to be followed for obtaining background checks are included in this web page. We recommend that administrators and applicants become familiar with both the law and the regulation.
Act 114 of 2006 specifies that all applicants for employment in public and private schools including employees of independent contractors, but excluding employees who do not have direct contact with students undergo background checks. In addition, Act 114 extends the background check requirements to include student teacher candidates. As of April 1, 2007 the following three background checks are required:
1. Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check (Act 34). Applies to individuals hired as of January 1, 1986.
2. Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151).
3. Federal Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) in a manner prescribed by the Department of Education
The Department of Education has outlined procedures for obtaining the federal criminal history record information from the FBI. The procedure for obtaining a federal background check has changed since December 1, 2008 and this procedure, including information for obtaining the PA State Police Criminal Records Check and the Department of Public Welfare Clearance is included in this webpage. In addition, Frequently Asked Questions and Answers are included to assist school administrators and applicants with the process.
Information & Procedures
· Federal Criminal Background Checks (contains the following)
Implementation School Entity Procedures
General Requirements Student Teachers and Universities
Applicant Procedures School Contractor Procedures
Agency Billing (ABID) Other Entities
Unofficial Report (Applicant copy) Provisional Hire
Fingerprint Processing and Storage Group Fingerprinting
Fingerprint Correction and Resubmission Security
Obtaining a Username and Password Where to Find Help
· Presentation for Contractors (PDF file – link for free Adobe Reader)
· Background Check Webinar (Recorded Elluminate Webinar - 4/22/2009)
Frequently Asked Questions – Background Checks
Guidance and Law Regarding Criminal Background Checks
PIAA Sports Officials Background Check Requirements (link to webpage)
- PDE Instructions for Schools (PDF)
- PIAA Memorandum to Sports Officials 7/1/2009 (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions for PIAA Officials (PDF)
- Background Check Presentation for PIAA Sports Officials (PDF)
- Provisional Contracting Statement Sample (Word and PDF)
- Background Checks for PIAA Sports Officials Webinars (Elluminate Webinar)
- Listing of available Webinars
- Instructions for Webinar Recordings (PDF)